Superiority complex refers to a subconscious neurotic mechanism
of compensation developed by the individual as a result of feelings of
inferiority. The feelings of inferiority in this specific complex are often
brought on by social rejection, possibly as a result of the individual's
inattentiveness to hygiene, perceived ugliness, or lower intelligence as
compared to others. The term was coined by Alfred
Adler (February 7, 1870 – May 28, 1937), as part of his
School of Individual psychology.
Those exhibiting the superiority complex
commonly project their feelings of inferiority onto others they perceive as
beneath them, possibly for the same reasons they themselves may have been
ostracized, i.e. viewing most, possibly all others as "ugly" or "stupid", and
beneath oneself. Accusations of arrogance and cockiness are often made by others
when referring to the individual exhibiting the superiority complex.
Behaviors related to this mechanism may include an
exaggeratedly positive opinion of one’s worth and abilities, unrealistically
high expectations in goals and achievements for oneself and others, vanity,
extravagant style in dressing (with intent of drawing attention), pride,
sentimentalism and affected exaltation, snobbishness, a tendency to discredit
other’s opinions, forcefulness aimed at dominating those considered as weaker or
less important, credulity, and others.
Social aloofness, daydreaming and isolation could also be associated to the Superiority Complex, as a way to evade the fear of failure related to the feelings of inadequacy to face the real
world.
Superiority and inferiority complex are often found together as the different
expressions of the same pathology and the two complexes can exist within the
same individual. Superiority can also be caused by PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress
Disorder)


Hey thanks for stopping by my blog. OK I think alot of fat people have a superiority complex. I think it's because we have been ostracized from many people in society, so we've been forced to take on the attitude that makes us feel better about ourselves, yet sometimes hurts others. For example, I don't really like skinny people. Even at my thinnest times of my life at 160, I was still a regular sized girl. I say I don't like skinny people, but really I don't want to get to know them because they have something I don't. I guess if I ultimately want to be thin, I better start including skinny gals in my circle of friends.
ReplyDeleteSelma