Getting to Onderland!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, February 6, 2009

Some Random Thoughts and a Thank You!

Firstly, I'd like to thank Sybil for leading me to Dr. Michael Eades blog, and this post in particular. He's a low carb advocate, but I really think this post speaks to everyone trying to lose weight. I love the analogy of dieting as riding a rogue elephant. And, how he emphasizes the disconnect. I truly thing that disconnect is a huge part of my problem:


~Using food to numb=disconnect

~Mindless eating (even if it's the "right" food)=disconnect


And so on and so on.


Yes, I'm back trying to cut the carbs. I felt that, even though I was watching calories and eating balanced meals, I was losing control due to carbs.


My new Tanita scale arrived a couple of days ago, and I wanted to post the info. It's really cool, I'm not sure it's entirely accurate, but it will at least give me something to measure progress against! It did add two pounds to my weight, but that's really not important.


So, today's report:
Weight: 237.6 lbs
% Body Fat: 46%
% Hydration: 39%
Muscle: 123 lbs
Bone: 6.4 lbs
Visceral Fat: 11lbs
Healthy Ranges:

% Body Fat: 22-34%
% Hydration: 45-60% (this number will come up as body fat goes down)
Muscle: no guide number-more muscle means more calories burned, though!
Bone: 6.5 lbs & up
Visceral Fat: 1-12 lbs
So, I feel pretty good about 123 lbs of muscle and my visceral fat level. Hydration is OK, and obviously I'm sad about the high body fat %, but also excited to make it go down!
My husband has refused (!@!@??) to step on it for three days now. He keeps saying he doesn't feel like it. I'm totally baffled by it and we had a mini fight about it this morning and he ended up saying he couldn't see it w/o his contacts. Whatever, I'll leave that to be his problem, not mine.
I hope everyone has a happy and healthy weekend!

5 comments:

  1. That's funny, I have a Tanita scale also with the same features and we have almost the same stats! 5(I didn't write my bone weight and visceral fat level but they are the same). Are you pear-shaped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean I didn't write them on my Stats page... *need more coffee*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured since we both have low visceral fat! Be careful, this scale is addictive! The water % in particular fluctuates like crazy so I've had to learn not to weigh in too often :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! Dr. Eades writes some great stuff.

    Glad to hear you're cutting the carbs a bit. I know carbs aren't THE ENEMY, especially the veggie based ones, but I'm a firm believer that the carb 'crap' is not good for us.

    So, to answer your question, yup, I've switched from typical strength training to the slow burn method and am having fantastic results. Not that I didn't also have good results with typical strength training, but it's quite refreshing to get in and out of the gym in about 20-25 minutes rather than 60-90 minutes- plus I think I was overtraining and by reducing the amount of time working out, I've actually broken my stall (the end of the month will tell). I highly recommend his book but there's a lot of information online that you can gather in order to get started.

    Also, someone just started a thread over at http://forum.lowcarber.org under countdowns specifically for people doing the Slow Burn who want some accountability so you might want to check that out to see if you're interested in participating.

    Congrats on your weight loss this week - whoo hooo!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Express your support:-)

July Goal