Eating was clean over the weekend, but I feel like I failed on my goal to be kinder to my hubby. Saturday afternoon he was talking on the phone to someone (the wife of one of his good friends) and told her our child was going to "dagis" 2-3 days a week. Dagis is the Swedish word for daycare, but there is more to it-in the 70's when the Socialists took over here, they tried to stimulate the economy by "encouraging" everyone to work-mothers too. To do this they installed a government backed daycare system for children from 12 months to school age-which doesn't begin here until 7 years. The fee for dagis is very low, I think the maximum is 1300sek, which is about $180us a month. There is no formal learning going on at dagis. Children are taught to wait and sit quietly. The preschool that our son goes to follows an International curriculum to prepare him for Kindergarten in 2 years. Now, one thing that has really bothered me (and my husband) has been the constant asking of people (friends & family in Sweden, colleagues of my hubby, etc) about why our son is not in dagis. I'm staying home with him, and prefer to raise him myself, rather than have him raised by someone making $20,000 a year. That's why. But, I can't say that...can I? Because it's insulting to the parents who DO send their children there. Anyhow, the point being...as he was saying this on the phone, I said, "our child does NOT go to dagis!" rather loudly...my husband was very embarrassed and mad...and things just kind of spiraled into a fight from there. It ended with me saying, "you know, if you keep treating me so badly, you'll come home one day to find an empty house." Which was a bit over the top, but when he disregards my feelings like that it just makes me want to bolt.
Another thing that's been bothering me is something that happened in therapy on Wednesday. My therapist started off the session by indicating that he thought it would be a good idea for me to start thinking about going back to work. WTF? I mean, I know he wants to empower me, but really! Isn't that kind of judgemental? Ever since I can remember, I've intended to stay at home and raise my own child/ren. Now, I've hinted that I may become bored and want to do something once he's at school full time...but that's not for a few years. This just smacks of that Swedish 1970's brainwashing that everyone MUST work, and children MUST go to dagis. That is how it works in Sweden. Well, I am American, and I don't buy into that.
OK, rant over.
In case you didn't see it, Lyn over at Escape from Obesity posted a really great link today on How Much Water Do I Really Need?
For me, it said:
This was really shocking to me! I usually aim for 3 liters, but only get in 2 most days.A person who is 238 pounds and is exercising for 25 minutes ,is not pregnant, is
not breastfeeding, does not live at a high altitude,does not live in a dry
climate,drinks 0 alcoholic drink(s),when the weather is not very hot or very
cold,and is not sick with fever or diarrhea should have:
121.5 ounces of water today, or 3.6 liters.If you eat a healthy diet, about 20 percent of your water may come from the foods you eat.
If you eat a healthy diet you can drink 97.2 ounces of water today, or 2.9 liters.
My goals for this week:
- 3 workouts, plus there will be lots of walking on Thurs, Fri and Sat.
- Keeping to Atkins for now.
- 3 liters of water a day, starting the day (before coffee!) with 16oz glass.
- Practice kindness
- Continue to work on being more thankful.
- Enjoy my brother's visit!
- Continue to journal my food.
Well, that should keep me busy! LOL I hope everyone has a fantastic week, I'll probably be pretty busy.


good morning!
ReplyDeletekudos on the loss. and when I read the 'eating clean but failing on the hubby part' well, it made me think.
stop reading (for a moment).
my hubby is upstairs getting ready for a trip so IM OFF TO GO AND DO AN ACT OF KINDNESS TO HIM BEFORE HE GOES
(then drink some water too :))
thank you for the reminder.
MizFit
Good job on the weight loss. That's awesome.
ReplyDeleteThat´s great that you lost! Congrats! And good for you for staying home with your child! Don´t let yourself get pressured into anything you don´t want to do!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the loss, and sorry about your husband being a jerk. Mine is a jerk, too, unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteCongrtulations on the loss! Sorry things are a little difficult at the moment. I live in Japan and that pressure to conform is very much present. I go through phases where I can shake it off and phases when it really gets to me. I think coupled with the fact that you seem ready to leave the country it's all got ou at a low ebb.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the loss! And for the background on Swedish daycare. I imagine it must be difficult to be in a foreign country and try to pick when to conform and when to follow your heart (i.e. raising your son). No wonder you snapped. It happens to the best of us now and then. But I like the goal of practicing kindness.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the loss! It must be frustrating to have to explain your choice to others constantly. Might help if you & hubby come up with one standard answer to shut them down. "It is our choice not to send him.", then change the subject. No further explaination needed, they'll get the message.
ReplyDeleteOff to drink more water too!
Congrats on the loss! And husbands, well, they all have their moments (good and bad).
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the weight loss and good luck on your goals! You can do it! Small steps add up!
ReplyDelete