I wanted to thank everyone for the nice comments on my last post, and take a moment to address some things that were brought up.
MargieAnne asked if my son goes to a playgroup: He started going to pre-school two to three days a week a few weeks ago. He loves it, and it's giving me some much needed time. His early wakings have kept me from pre-breakfast workouts, but now on Tuesday and Thursdays, I can work out at leisure, and the other weekdays nap time is less crunched to "get stuff done around the house" so I can exercise then. It's just been a struggle for me to rearrange my whole schedule. I spoke to his teacher about the pushing/tickling/etc...and despite my child pushing a little girl to the ground right in front of me, she said he behaves really well. She didn't think ADHD was anything to worry about, at all. So, I'm basically left to figure out why he's misbehaving-if it's only when I'm around, it's obviously something with our relationship, I just don't know what. I think I've felt so isolated because I don't have a support group here. I'm the odd one out being a stay at home mom. All (like 99% or more) Swedish children start full time day care at 12-18 months of age. I guess I've just had a different set of challenges:-)
I do know I have a lot of self loathing that I need to resolve. And, I feel like I am finally starting to get somewhere in my therapy sessions. I'm not entirely sure where, but I am identifying things in myself that I need to change. This has had a tendency to spark more negative internal dialogue, as acknowledging my flaws admits imperfection. Now, I'm sure my son picks up on these things in me, and has succeeded in manipulating me from time to time. I definitely need to become more in control of my anger. (don't worry, it's not really out of control, but the tone of my words sometimes is very disheartening to me, and I want to remedy it!) Part of me feels like (this came to me from my therapy work) things get bad (negative/testing/outbursts) on my son's part when I am not acting as the Mummy, but as the 3 year old. I am relating to him very well, and am able to see life through his eyes...I guess there is just something in me that needs to resolve the "trauma" of my brothers birth when I was 3.
As for my intuition, it screams at me that he is a wonderful, healthy, happy, intelligent, caring and adorable little boy. My insecurities try to erode that, I guess. It's coupled by the lack of support group. Hmmmm, looks like I've identified another issue. I really don't know what to do about the support, or rather, the lack thereof. I feel like we're only going to be here another year, and that I'd be best to focus on getting myself healthy in mind, body and spirit....then I should have energy to establish a network when we move home. (It is soooooooo much more difficult here, with the language and cultural differences. For instance, I don't fit in with the Swedes for various reasons, and within the ex-pat crowd, there is a divide--1)those who love it here and are basically becoming/behaving like Swedes and 2)the ones that are miserable, hence giving a seriously negative tilt to most encounters--I fit into the second group, but don't need the extra negativity, obviously)


I have an online cyberpal who was born and bred in Sweden but now lives in the UK. I wonder if it might help if you could swap advice with each other?
ReplyDeleteAs I am at work at the moment and don't have full access to everything I have on my desktop PC at home I don't have her details to hand, but if you e-mail me, I will pass her web address onto you (she keeps a blog on MySpace, instead of on Blogger).
Feel free to e-mail me at:
goodbyetoallfat@yahoo.co.uk
I will pick it up in about 8 hours' time when I get home!
Best wishes,
Sharon
I just read the other post about your son and your worries about ADHD. I really think doctors these days, just lump everything into ADHD. Kids are hyper. If they aren't active (which many kids aren't these days), they are going to be bouncing off the walls. At least this is my personal opinion.
ReplyDeleteI think you should get those pictures out that your husband took and slowly look them over. What do you like about your body? Find something and concentrate on that. Think positive thoughts (I can relate to not wanting the elephant legs..I have thunder thighs..in fact that's what they called me in grade school *sigh). If you can't stand to look at those pictures then post them on the frig, maybe they will offer incentive. Use them to your benefit, however that may be.
Also, you need to give me your starting weight for my challenge :).
I see some of myself in your post. I've been in pretty intensive therapy for a little over 2 years now and you do go through anger and frustration and sometimes things go slow and sometimes fast. After about a year and a half, I suddenly started feeling like I was worth something and that it's ok to be flawed (we all are, by the way) and that we do need support. Since that time I've lost 30 pounds (in close to a year).
ReplyDeleteAs hard as it can be, reach out to some people and ask for help. You can't just depend on yourself and your husband. It's ok to make friends now that will be gone in a year -- you never know how long you'll live next to someone or work with someone anyway.
Be OK with being overweight and work hard to change that without hating where you are now. Feel that anger and talk to your therapist about it and know it's ok to be angry sometimes. It sounds like you have some unusual challenges right now, but we all have unique ones because we're all unique.
You can do this -- just keep moving (physically, mentally, emotionally).
Hi, I am a new comer to your blog and I must say enjoying it very much. I think your before and after picture look great. Keep up the good work. I have a questions for you though. Where in the world did you find the "What I Should Look Like...." thing on the side of your page. I think that is really cool.
ReplyDeleteMy brother is ADHD. It can get pretty "interesting" sometimes but in the end he's still a great guy (don't tell him I said that though please.).
ReplyDeleteDon't let the negative things outweigh the positive things in your life. It's ok to be angry sometimes. When I get angry I try to do something physical like go for a walk up and down as many hills in my neighborhood that I can find or something along those lines. It can be great for clearing your head and it's also good for you too.
Have a great weekend.
it is SO DIFFICULT to nip the negative self chatter and even more challenging with all you have on your plate right now.
ReplyDeleteMizFit
Just dropped in to see you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your response. Bringing up children is not alway easy and not always fun but worth it.
How are you going on your 'clean eating.' Thank-you for the challenge it has done wonders for me. I have been in ketosis more days in the last 10 than in the previous 6 weeks.