I start every day with two Americanos (espresso cut with hot water so it's about the strength of strong brewed coffee) with whipped cream. It's like my special treat. I don't
have any decent coffee mugs, so here's a shot of the espresso pouring. My hubby gets lattes, but I can't handle that much milk sugar. I used to own an espresso bar, so its great to have "real" espresso in our house again!I did our grocery shopping this morning, and feel like I'm nicely prepared for our road trip to my in-laws. I have a bunch of healthy snack type things (almonds, celery sticks, cheese cubes) for the car ride and a few Atkins bars in case I can't figure out a decent breakfast at their place.
On a different note, I'm thinking I may need to tone down my exercise. I upped the resistance on the bike again on Monday, and today I couldn't make the full 6 minutes at the highest level. My knees were killing me. I've usually opted for pedalling harder, but slower. Perhaps I need to reverse that a little? I'm trying to make my 20 minutes a day as efficient as possible. I feel like I need to tiptoe a bit here, so I don't push it too hard and burn myself out. On the other hand, I don't want to pedal away, and not get any decent results, either.
Also, Carol asked something today about "A-ha" moments. I've been thinking about this, and I feel like I've finally got it in regards to making healthy choices. I know I've been grumbling about carbs a lot recently. And, I know it's not about the carbs, its not about my husband saying, "just take it easy on yourself", its not about relaxing and enjoying myself. What it IS about is choice. I am in control of my choices. Do you know how empowering that is?? Say it. I am in control of my choices.
Knowing that, I feel confident that, one day, I will indeed be able to eat a piece of fruit, without going into some sort of blood bath sugar binge. I'm just want to get solidly there, before I start testing the waters. I guess what I'm saying is that I am ready to take the responsibility for my healthy (or not...) choices. I know I will venture off the path at some point, and because of this I'm feeling like it will be easier to pick myself up and get back on track this time. For me this is all tied right into living in the moment. So often, I feel like I 'escape' through the computer, television, food, even the exercise bike. So, I think its important for me to become more aware of my actions (or in-actions).
Finally, do you like this photo? (you can click it for full size) I've doctored it a bit and was thinking of getting a large print framed for my dining room. Maybe it needs to be cropped?
Happy day to all!:-)


That fish looks divine! And I love the picture!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful picture.
ReplyDeleteI always order the decaf Americano at a famous overpriced coffee bar here in the states. I think they water it down too much though.
Very good that you realized that you have a choice. And it will be easier to get back on when you binge because you know that YOU chose to binge and YOU can get back up again. You are in control of everything pertaining to your weight loss. :)
ReplyDeleteI like the pic too. Very pretty :)
The fish sounds lovely.
ReplyDeleteBeing in control of your choices and realizing it IS a choice is HUGE. Good for you. The great part about it being a choice is that if you make one bad choice, it doesn't stop you from making 10 good ones right after that.
Does your bike have programs? When I was working out on my bike (I'm trying running now, but I was a stationary bike gal before), I found that the best plan for me was a program that included a few minutes at a high resistance, then a couple at low, then a few at high, etc. It alternated, which allowed me to get the benefits of the high resistance without falling out of the chair from exertion! And then the stronger I got, the longer I could stay on the high resistance, or sometimes I increased resistance and kept the time the same.
Mixing it up works well so your body doesn't get used to one thing. If you have programs, you might try that. Or, if you don't, you could increase/decrease it yourself.
Hey, a thought if you don't have programs in the bike and have to do resistance changes yourself - there are free running couch to 5k podcasts. Maybe you could use them for the bike. When it says walk you could do low resistance and when it says run you could do high. They last about 30 min each, week 1 is mostly walking and a little running, then it gradually shifts the proportions as weeks pass. If you're interested they're at:
http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html
Thats the iPOd format - the MP3 format can be found by clicking a link at the top of the page.
Good luck!
Thanks everyone:-)
ReplyDeleteGrumpy, you could always ask them to put less water in the Americano, just order "decaf A with lots of room"
Happy, I'm not sure about my bike..it's Swedish. I know it has a "step" program, which I think just steps up resistance like a staircase. There is some other unidentified program...maybe I should ask my hubby about that one. The way I've been going is starting at level 3, then stepping up one level every two minutes, then I stay at peak from 6-12 minutes, down one level for 3 minutes then down another notch for the final 3 minutes. I should probably go look at the Body For Life book on cardio, I know he has a plan that is something like 50% effort for 2 minutes, then up and down every minute for the next 18. I've always felt like I need to study it first, though! LOL
A loss is a loss, kiddo! Congrats and keep moving forward....I know I say it alot, but it's the baby steps that get us to our goals. (Someone say this to me when I need it, ok?)
ReplyDeleteLove the picture! I would definitely print it and hang it. Two suggestions.....have you read about the 'rule of 1/3rds?" I think it's an art-based theory, where you (mentally) divide the photo/picture into thirds (like a 9 patch quilt block). The subject (in this theory) should be in one of the non-center squares for best visual appeal. So, with your photo, if you cropped so that the larger blossoms where to the right or to the left of center, it might add more visual appeal. Then again, I break this rule frequently!
The other idea is metallic prints. If they offer metallic prints as an option (you might need to go to a pro lab for this option), you should try it. They are stunning and usually not that much more expensive. The metallics that I've printed have just glistened and have so much depth to them.
Ok, sorry for going off on that tangent. Photography is a passion of mine. :o)
I *love* that photo! It would make a lovely dining room photo (makes me want to sit up straighter *g*).
ReplyDeleteFwiw, I think you're right to dial back the cycling a bit. Just for now. Let your body acclimate and then press forward again. You're doing great!